Performs responsible professional recreation work developing, managing, and coordinating various recreational programs, core services, facilities and staff. Possible work assignments include: Athletic Program, Therapeutic Recreation, Community Center, Camp Roanoke Program or the Childcare Program. Responsible for program research and development within a specific program discipline to establish and attain specific service goals. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Coordinates marketing of programs and services with the Marketing Specialist
· Does related research and development to determine which recreational programs should be offered at the various centers, athletic fields and residential camps
· Works with school board, principals, teachers, public officials and private organizations in initiating recreational programs
· Performs public relations activities through presentations, news releases and other media
· Manages and maintains facilities and equipment
· Inventories and purchases equipment and materials
· Develops reports and annual budgets
· Hires, trains and manages employees
· Makes periodic inspections of recreation activities
· Keeps records and makes reports of recreational activities
· Conducts research and surveys and meets with citizens groups to determine the needs and interest of the citizens
· Evaluates program offerings for effectiveness and improvement
· Develops partnerships with organizations, other parks and recreation departments and businesses
· Handles complaints and difficult relationships encountered in the provision of services
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in recreation or related field.
Required: Two (2) years experience in the administration of recreational activities and facilities.
Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
•Thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of recreation administration
•Considerable knowledge of area of concentration such as major and minor sports, special needs populations, youth programs, therapeutic recreation, child development and adventure activities
•Ability to plan and supervise recreation programs
•Ability to solve difficult recreation issues with initiative and resourcefulness
•Ability to establish and maintain good working relationship with the public, school administration, activity participants and coworkers
•Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays.
Supervises Recreation Supervisors, Programmers and program staff